setting up directfb for a raspberry pi + waveshare32b display
Lou Crittenden
2015-02-12 23:35:32 UTC
Hi all. I have a buildroot setup running on a raspberry pi model b+ and a
waveshare32b 3.2" display and was able to get the system to work with the
display thanks to peter seiderer's awesome patch that builds the fbtft
drivers for buildroot, but I now would like to set up directfb to work on
this setup. Directfb built nicely, along with sdl and qt5 (I'm setting up
the framework for a gui on a buildroot based media player), but I cannot
get anything to work on directfb. I run the command "df_drivertest" that
tests for the driver, and it gives a

(#) DirectFBError [dfb->CreateSurface( dfb, &dsc, &primary )]: The
requested operation or an argument is (currently)Not
supported.

The same thing happens when I try to run any of their directfb demos.
I went on their site, directfb.org, and a lot of the links that would
help are dead

I want to use a setup lighter than xorg and supports touchscreen for a
gui on a multimedia player I am working on.
Peter Seiderer
2015-02-17 22:38:10 UTC
Hello Lou,
Post by Lou Crittenden
[...]
Just a quick test:

$ df_knuckles --dfb:help
$ df_knuckles --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
$ df_dok --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
$ df_cpuload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1

work for me...

$ df_drivertest --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
df_drivertest.c <97>:
(#) DirectFBError [dfb->CreateSurface( dfb, &dsc, &primary )]: The requested operation or an argument is (currently) not supported

failes..

Regards,
Peter
Lou Crittenden
2015-02-18 01:21:36 UTC
I tried running them and got an error stating it can't find /dev/fusion0 or
/dev/fusion/0 after running any of the df_knuckles --dfb commands with the
exception of the help command.

Did you have to create new device nodes and directories? I had to using
mkdir /dev/fusion
mkdir /dev/fusion0

then made the device nodes with these commands:

mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 253 0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 253 0

I then ran
$ df_knuckles --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
$ df_dok --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
$ df_cpuload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1

both as root and as another user and I get:
(!) Fusion/Init: could not enter world 0! not a typewriter

I have no idea what that means. Other people have gotten the error as well,
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
Peter Seiderer
2015-02-18 17:30:10 UTC
Hello Lou,
Post by Lou Crittenden
I tried running them and got an error stating it can't find /dev/fusion0 or
/dev/fusion/0 after running any of the df_knuckles --dfb commands with the
exception of the help command.
Did you have to create new device nodes and directories? I had to using
mkdir /dev/fusion
mkdir /dev/fusion0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 253 0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 253 0
I then ran
$ df_knuckles --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
$ df_dok --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
$ df_cpuload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
(!) Fusion/Init: could not enter world 0! not a typewriter
I have no idea what that means. Other people have gotten the error as well,
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
From package/directfb/directfb.mk:

ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif

Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess, not tested)...

Regards,
Peter
Post by Lou Crittenden
Lou Crittenden
2015-02-18 22:29:09 UTC
Got it to work after about a 2 hour rebuild with make clean all and
removing the said option. You guessed properly. I also had to use fb1
instead of fb0. I would love to use fb1 as the default framebuffer.
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif
Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess, not tested)...
Regards,
Peter
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
help are dead
$ df_knuckles --dfb:help
$ df_knuckles --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
$ df_dok --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
$ df_cpuload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
work for me...
$ df_drivertest --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1
The
Lou Crittenden
2015-02-19 00:13:44 UTC
on the df_knuckles demo, the touch screen works, but it appears that I have
reverse the axes somehow, as it appears that if I move my finger left to
right, the skull moves up and down and vice versa.
Post by Lou Crittenden
Got it to work after about a 2 hour rebuild with make clean all and
removing the said option. You guessed properly. I also had to use fb1
instead of fb0. I would love to use fb1 as the default framebuffer.
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif
Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess, not tested)...
Regards,
Peter
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Lou Crittenden
2015-02-19 01:10:51 UTC
I can also confirm that the axes are reversed on the df_bltload by running:
df_bltload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1.

I was thinking I could make an ads7846 configuration file at
/etc/modprobe.d/00-ads7846.conf (like we did with the waveshare32b) to also
include the ads7846 touchscreen device with reversed axes.

For starters, the contents will be:

options ads7846_device debug=1 cs=1 speed=2000000 model=7846 x_min=230
x_max=3900 y_min=200 y_max=3700 x_plate_ohms=80 pressure_max=255
gpio_pendown=23 keep_vref_on=1

I will see how this goes and edit accordingly.
Post by Lou Crittenden
Got it to work after about a 2 hour rebuild with make clean all and
removing the said option. You guessed properly. I also had to use fb1
instead of fb0. I would love to use fb1 as the default framebuffer.
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif
Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess, not tested)...
Regards,
Peter
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Lou Crittenden
2015-02-19 13:14:53 UTC
Post by Lou Crittenden
I will see how this goes and edit accordingly.
Disregard that!! I remember now making the /etc/init.d/s30fbtft script and
I found the part that has the "swap_xy=0" and am changing it to
Post by Lou Crittenden
on the df_knuckles demo, the touch screen works, but it appears that I
have reverse the axes somehow, as it appears that if I move my finger left
to right, the skull moves up and down and vice versa.
On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Lou Crittenden <
Post by Lou Crittenden
Got it to work after about a 2 hour rebuild with make clean all and
removing the said option. You guessed properly. I also had to use fb1
instead of fb0. I would love to use fb1 as the default framebuffer.
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
exception of the help command.
Did you have to create new device nodes and directories? I had to
using
Post by Lou Crittenden
mkdir /dev/fusion
mkdir /dev/fusion0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 253 0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 253 0
I then ran
Post by Lou Crittenden
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif
Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess, not tested)...
Regards,
Peter
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Zygmunt Ptak
2015-02-19 13:27:19 UTC
Hi Lou,
Do you want to use qt quick with directfb?
I have waveshare 4 inch (A), and for now without any success on this.
Everything with OGL is rendered on HDMI output,
so I think it's not possible to use fbdev with qt quick. Code with widgets
works good.
I you will have any success on this, I would be greatful for any info.
Regards
Zygmunt
Post by Lou Crittenden
I can also confirm that the axes are reversed on the df_bltload by
running: df_bltload --dfb:fbdev=/dev/fb1.
I was thinking I could make an ads7846 configuration file at
/etc/modprobe.d/00-ads7846.conf (like we did with the waveshare32b) to also
include the ads7846 touchscreen device with reversed axes.
options ads7846_device debug=1 cs=1 speed=2000000 model=7846 x_min=230
x_max=3900 y_min=200 y_max=3700 x_plate_ohms=80 pressure_max=255
gpio_pendown=23 keep_vref_on=1
I will see how this goes and edit accordingly.
Post by Lou Crittenden
Got it to work after about a 2 hour rebuild with make clean all and
removing the said option. You guessed properly. I also had to use fb1
instead of fb0. I would love to use fb1 as the default framebuffer.
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
exception of the help command.
Did you have to create new device nodes and directories? I had to
using
Post by Lou Crittenden
mkdir /dev/fusion
mkdir /dev/fusion0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 253 0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 253 0
I then ran
Post by Lou Crittenden
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif
Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess,
not tested)...
Regards,
Peter
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Lou Crittenden
2015-02-19 20:02:25 UTC
Post by Zygmunt Ptak
I you will have any success on this, I would be greatful for any info.
Regards
Zygmunt
Qt quick looks promising to use as an interface for directfb, although I
never have gotten into it. You mentioning it to me is the first time I have
heard of it. I watched a demo on how to create an interface here
By the looks of what I saw in
the vid, it looks promising, but of course that guy made it look easy.

Do you know what framebuffer you are outputting to? Mine is /dev/fb1.
/dev/fb0 is the hdmi/video out, assuming you are using a raspberry pi.
Post by Lou Crittenden
I will see how this goes and edit accordingly.
Disregard that!! I remember now making the /etc/init.d/s30fbtft script
and I found the part that has the "swap_xy=0" and am changing it to
"swap_xy=1", and doing the tweaks from there.
Post by Lou Crittenden
Got it to work after about a 2 hour rebuild with make clean all and
removing the said option. You guessed properly. I also had to use fb1
instead of fb0. I would love to use fb1 as the default framebuffer.
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
exception of the help command.
Did you have to create new device nodes and directories? I had to
using
Post by Lou Crittenden
mkdir /dev/fusion
mkdir /dev/fusion0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 253 0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 253 0
I then ran
Post by Lou Crittenden
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif
Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a guess,
not tested)...
Regards,
Peter
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Post by Lou Crittenden
Lou Crittenden
2015-02-19 21:46:33 UTC
Post by Lou Crittenden
Disregard that!! I remember now making the /etc/init.d/s30fbtft script and
I >found the part that has the "swap_xy=0" and am changing it to
"swap_xy=1", >and doing the tweaks from there.

Well, I swapped the axes by changing swap_xy=0 to swap_xy=1 and while it
swapped the axes, I am having an issue where the y-axis is inverted, so
when I move my finger up and down the screen (it is in landscape), the
arrow moves the opposite. If I move the arrow left and right along the
x-axis, it moves properly. How do I fix that y-axis?
http://youtu.be/_6_F6Kpjd-Q By the looks of what I saw
Post by Lou Crittenden
Got it to work after about a 2 hour rebuild with make clean all and
removing the said option. You guessed properly. I also had to use fb1
instead of fb0. I would love to use fb1 as the default framebuffer.
Post by Peter Seiderer
Post by Lou Crittenden
exception of the help command.
Did you have to create new device nodes and directories? I had to
using
Post by Lou Crittenden
mkdir /dev/fusion
mkdir /dev/fusion0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 253 0
mknod /dev/fusion/0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 252 0
mknod /dev/fusion0 c 253 0
I then ran
Post by Lou Crittenden
but haven't had solutions, as per various searches.
ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_DIRECTFB_MULTI),y)
DIRECTFB_CONF_OPTS += --enable-multi --enable-fusion
DIRECTFB_DEPENDENCIES += linux-fusion
endif
Disable DIRECTFB_MULTI, rebuild directfb and try again (just a
guess, not tested)...
Regards,
Peter
Post by Lou Crittenden